SHORT TERM GOALS MAKE YOUR LONG TERM GOALS A REALITY!
Break up your long term goals into step-by-step plans. Short term goals are not merely resolutions! They move you ahead with positive direction!
- Make a checklist with a place to check off each item completed.
- Put the harder tasks at the top of the list and get to them first.
- Don’t make your checklist too long so you are discouraged. If need be, make several lists so you can easily see your success.
- Create small rewards for yourself as you complete tasks, such as a non-fat latté or dark chocolate. (yum!)
- Set your timer-it really works!
- Download some great Goal Setting Worksheets here!
GIVE YOURSELF INCENTIVES FOR ACHIEVING YOUR SHORT TERM GOALS
I use a 10-minute timer (this could also be 20, 30 or more minutes!) to accomplish tasks I don’t want to do, such as clean my office. (Stuck is Not a Four-Letter Word, pgs. 192, 197) As distractions are a huge hindrance, it’s a little mind game I play to stay focused. Either I can set the timer for 10 more minutes and keep working, or get to the project I really want to do. It really helps!
Change Your Life: GET UNSTUCK is an online course with 42 professional videos and 80 pg. study guide. FREE previews to help you move forward and create momentum in your life!
DIVIDE UP YOUR LONG TERM GOALS
Break up your long term goals into step-by-step plans. Those plans are now your short term goals. If you have achievable long term goals that you are excited about, planning your short term goals should will be a great and fun process! Short term goals can be achieved in a month or less, two months, six months or even a year. But they should not be longer than a year. More on Long Term Goals here!
MAKE YOUR SHORT TERM GOALS MEASURABLE
You can measure something if you can check it off on a list. If a short term goal is not measurable, it may not be specific enough or realistic. Example: A very short term goal for a student may be to write one page of a research paper by this Wednesday evening. Another goal would be to write a second page by the following Wednesday evening. They are divided up into measurable and achievable chunks.