One of the main secrets to staying young is the importance of fitness. Anyone else feel much younger than they are? How the years fly by! Even our kids are wondering how they got so old! (really?)
It takes some effort to stay young with a young mindset. Staying active and flexible is extremly important any time of life, but especially halftime and beyond! If you're age 40 and above, you're in halftime!
Flexibility and Moving
Flexibility, moving, stretching and working out helps keep the body moving. You have to make time for exercise and a fitness routine. Adding light weights is especially important for women.
Besides going to the gym, think creatively of how you can get moving. Your dog needs walking and so do you! Even if you're crazy busy, take some time to get outside. Pick a place where you can get your heart pumping, walking hills or increase your speed.
Importance of Warming Up
Your breath is one of the hardest aspects of warming up the body, but once you get over that panting, out-of-breath feeling, your body will adjust to your routine. Stairs are a great heart pumping exercise and warmup. (See treadmill warmup on each of the workouts below!) The same principle holds true for singing-warming up your breath support increases your abiltiy to execute an even tone throughout phrases!
Fun, Interactive, Not Intimidating LIVE event! Pasadena, CA • Fri-Sat. June 1-2
I can fly! shouted Mary Lou Clark, jumping from her seat! Deborah was the main speaker at the 2-day retreat. Mary Lou had recently lost her husband and lost herself in the process.You may be a successful career woman, a spouse, a mother, a friend, but most of all, an individual. You have come to the point in your life where you don't want to stall, but rather make your current self the best possible, and you're not alone! These two days are for YOU. Entirely led and hosted by Deborah.
My Fitness Routine
I'm including my fitness routine below because it's changed my way of working out. Please schedule a time with a trainer for your workout because he or she will customize a workout for your body, plus demonstrate how to use the weights so you don't hurt your back or anything else. As a note, I'm only at the gym an hour!
I have to admit I'm not excited when my husband, Greg, shows up at the gym because he usually adds more weight for me to lift or push! He put my Workouts below together. My preferred workout schedule is 6 days a week, early in the morning, but with extra travel and meetings, my workout may be a walk, run, working out at a hotel gym (with who knows what type of equipment!) or stair-climbing.
I'm listing my rotating workouts (I have them on index cards-they help me stick with a routine!) as an example. I am NOT a trainer but these work for me. Find what works for you and get moving! FITNESS is one of the secrets to staying young!
- CYCLE CLASS: This gets my heart rate up faster than almost anything else. I sit in the front for accountability (not ability!) 2-3 times a week if I'm in town.
- WORKOUT 1: 5-10 min Treadmill, Stretches, 5 Rounds: Pull-downs (10), Push up on bar (15), 25 lb. weight or kettlebell (15); 3 Rounds: Wallking lunges w/25 lb weight, Squats
- WORKOUT 2: 5-10 min Treadmill, Stretches, 3 Rounds: Clean and Jerks (45 lb. bar-my worst favorite workout!), 10 pushups, 30 crunches on ball; 5 Rounds: Pull-ups (2 different weights, 15 and 10 reps), 10 step-ups (each leg), 10 leg lifts.
- WORKOUT 3: 5-10 min. Treadmill, Stretches, 50 assisted pullups, 50 pushups, 50 situps, 50 squats (I do 15 or 20 at a time); Farmer Walks (35 lb. weights), Lift-squat with bar and 25 lb. weight, 3 Rounds: Free weights over head, to chest and straight back. (7.5, 12.5, 15 lb.)
- WORKOUT 4: 5-10 min. Treadmill, Stretches, 5 Rounds: Power Pushups (10), Stomach V's (30 sec), Jump Squats (10); 3 Rounds: Bar Dips (10) Leg Lifts (10), Ball against wall (15); 3 Rounds: Vertical Press (20), Row (20) Pull Downs (12)
Don't wait to get your FREE ACCESS to these amazing interviews during the 2-week run of the ONLINE Summit. (Additional interviews daily!) It begins Monday, MAY 14. Don't put this off-Sign up now!
Also, SAVE THE DATE! June 1-2 Hero Mountain™ LIVE Summit for Women at Halftime in Pasadena! Give a gift to yourself. All day Friday and Saturday. Space extremely limited! Click the button below if interested.
DEBORAH JOHNSON, M.A.: Provides tools for Women at Halftime who want to gain momentum, focus and success. Speaking, Concerts, In-Depth Workshops, National Media Commentator. Most recent book Bad Code: Overcoming Bad Mental Code That Sabotages Your Life and the upcoming Women at Halftime: Principles for Producing Your Successful Second Half. You can reach Deborah the following ways:Twitter:@DebJohnsonWorks • YouTube ; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/deborah.johnson; Websites: https://GoalsForYourLife.com; https://DJWorksMusic.com